Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Celebration!


Today, 11 years ago I was in labor and anxiously awaiting the arrival of my sweet daughter, Gracie.

She was by far my easiest birth. I had been in labor for several hours before needing Stadahl to take the edge off the pain. The meds were administered about noon that day. At 2:30 or so, the dr. came to give me my epidural, immediately after which I heard him tell the nurse that they needed to get me back into the bed because I was pushing. Only then did I realize that someone was groaning and that someone was me. The most powerful feeling had overtaken me...every fiber of my being was focused on pushing. It was something that I had always been too numb to feel before. It was so amazing to know that my body was busy doing just what it needed to do to deliver the baby!

So at 2:45, my baby girl made her grand entrance into this world. Before cutting the cord, Dr. Saucer showed us a knot in the umilical cord...he actually shoved his thumb up through it. He then tells us that at anytime during gestation, Gracie could have kicked or moved in a way that would have cinched it tight and cut off her supply of oxygen, food, etc...and she would not be here with us.

For nearly a month after, I would hold her close to me and cry and thank God that He protected her in my womb. The thought of losing her before I ever met her was devastating to me. So very thankful that God spared me that.

She was a fat little girl...my biggest child weighing in at 7lbs.,12oz. Immediately, I told JJ and Michael that I wanted to name her Grace Erin. Don't know where that came from...just popped into my head, and it was so.

We came home the next day and had to return to the hospital because Grace's billirubin count was dangerously elevated. They recommended putting her on formula to stimulate the livers enzymes to eliminate the jaundice. I was crushed as was Gracie. She had been a natural at breast feeding and she did not like the bottle or the formula. I would get two ounces in her and she would lose about half of that every time we fed. She cried constantly and I could not comfort her no matter how I tried. She was in a baby bed with the ultraviolet light shining on her little naked body. Finally, a nurse came in and found both Grace and me, crying uncontrollably. She tried to calm Gracie to no avail then turned to me and asked if I would let Gracie know that she was not going to have to be on that nasty formula forever? She of course, could not go against drs. orders and tell me to breastfeed her, so in her own way suggested that I do what my mama's heart told me was best for my child. I am still grateful to that wonderful woman for understanding the special bond between a mother and her baby! She was so wise and caring!

I picked up my precious baby and nursed her. She settled down right away and was soon sleeping soundly under her warm light in her soft bed. It was the right thing to do.

The next morning the dr. not knowing what kind of night we had, the good or the bad of it, came in with the results. My milk WAS good and it was OK to begin nursing again. Little did he know! (smile)

We brought her home to stay a day later and our little family was complete and all together!

She has brought so much joy to our lives. She is witty, funny, creative, passionate, dramatic, and fun-loving. She is unique in every way...her own person without a doubt. I cannot imagine life without my darling girl. She has been a delightful addition to our family for 11 years and we are so very thankful that we didn't lose her before birth.

God has watched over our family, been so sweet to us, and taken care of us in every way possible. He is our rock!

Happy birthday, Gracie! I look forward to many years of celebrations with you. I love you more than you will ever know...well, at least until you hold your own precious baby in your arms. Then you will know the all encompassing love that I feel for you.

Love, Mama

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did the 11 years go? Oh my goodness ... I just can hardly believe she is 11 today. She is such a precious, enjoyable, prissy part of our family and we all love our Gracie! I say prissy cause I enjoy seeing the outfits she puts together ... just adorable! She's definately got a style of her own and I love it! Tell Gracie her Aunt JJ loves her and wishes her a very happy, happy day today!

Much love,

J

Anonymous said...

I don't have girls and I am jealous. If I did I think Grace would be great. I am sure she could show me a thing or two about fashion. She is very sweet and one to be proud of.

Kristi said...

What a thoughtful post... Happy Birthday Grace!

Ashley said...

Such a very sweet story for Grace on her birthday. God is good in all ways. Love to Grace and to you.