Saturday, June 4, 2011

Life Goes On

I am amazed at the rapidity with which life moves on after death. My friends on Facebook keep posting events and happenings in their worlds, the news keeps reporting the happenings in the world at large, babies continue to be born, others leave the earth daily, It is as if Daddy's death was only a blip on the screen and then life goes on.

I must be honest and say that irritated me just a little. Not with people, just the circumstance. It seems my daddy deserves more than a few hours in one day to be remembered, but I am sure everyone feels that way about their loved one's demise. It was only in the beginning, I felt so upset by this. Now there is something sweet about it. Babies are born, people marry, kids graduate, and life goes on. It is easy to focus on the bad in life, the sorrow, the emptiness, the failure, the pain. How much better when one can look past that and see the good, feel the sunshine, dance in the rain, enjoy the wonder that surrounds us everyday.

My daddy does deserve to be remembered and he will be. Not by everyone whose life he touched because their own lives are not consumed with his absence, but he will be thought fondly of on occasion by us all and for some of us that will be a daily occurance. He lives on in our hearts, our thoughts, our memories, our offspring and in God's heaven.

I hope my mama can find some joy in life without Daddy. I wish that for her so desperately. She has spent her life caring for others and I would love for her to experience life on her terms, with no thought of anyone else's preferences. To just once, before she leaves this earth to able to do what she wants to do, when she wants to do it and for however long she chooses to do so. She has earned it, she deserves it, and I pray she is able to have it.

No comments: