Thursday, March 22, 2012

I Believe I Found My Smile

I have been through a great deal of tragedy for which I was ill-prepared.  I had few life skills, little self-esteem, no concept of who I am or what I truly believed in, and no idea how to acquire those.  I had physical skills, but not much relationship training, no clear boundaries with those I interacted with daily, and a vast range of emotions that in the end had me stagnant in a sea of fear.  I have never felt so lost in my life.  I have never felt so wretched.  I have never been so frozen.  I have never been so reclusive.  I lived in fear of tomorrow and all it could potentially hold.  I could see very little good.  I knew very little hope. I felt very little joy.  It was a garish nightmare experience that consumed my whole self.

Through circumstances beyond my control, I was delayed in seeking professional help.  Once counseling ensued and medication was prescribed,  I find all that was lost is returning.  I have hope springing eternal once again.  I see some good in even dismal situations.  I feel fear only fleetingly.  I have found my laughter and my smile.  I feel joy, even when nothing eventful is happening in my life.  Mostly, I feel gratitude for my salvation from that dark, lonely place in which I lived for so long.  Having been THERE, I can appreciate HERE so much more.

My challenge now is to continue my therapy and medications, even though I am feeling healed.  I know there is still much work to be done, more skills to be learned, and more issues to tackle.  I cannot imagine a better feeling than I already have attained, but somehow I know there is more, if I just keep searching. 

Life is becoming richer, fuller, deeper, better.  Best yet, it is becoming simpler and balanced.  Once again, I can say "Life is good".  That has been a long time coming. 






No comments: