Monday, March 16, 2009

It is Time for the Hummers to Soon Arrive!

Two juvenile hummingbirds that Michael caught at the feeder. If they had been older, he would probably not have been able to get his hands on them.
The patient Master lies in wait, his little targets are distracted by each other.

Standing close so that the hummers can get used to his presence.
Last year, on a Sunday, after church, we were all outside under the carport on a beautiful day when two little hummers began feeding. Michael wanted to just see how close he could get to them.
After several minutes (that seemed much longer) he was able to catch both of the little beauties in his hands! I took one of them and we took pictures. Boy, were they fussing at us for holding them, but what a magical experience to hold one of God's full-grown creatures that is so tiny!
We let them go after only a minute or so, and one of their feathers was left in my hand. I kept it in a ziplock bag with my scrapbook material. One day the feather and photos will enter the pages of our family memories, but today, I thought I would share the experience...in honor of our beautiful little hummingbirds and their anticipated arrival.


3 comments:

Kristi said...

Mom and I are counting down the days... although I think that Mom has already seen her first. Aunt JJ says they come on March 15th... today!

Kristen said...

This post reminded me of one of the most significant memories of my childhood. I was probably around 5 years old and I wanted a pet bird sooo badly! I prayed and prayed and prayed for God to give me a pet bird. One day we were all outside and as I was walking past the bushes in front of the house, a bird hopped out. It didn't fly away - it just kept hopping right in front of me and I started following it. Every now and then I would quickly stick my foot out in front of it and it would actually hop over my foot! I called the rest of my family over and we all watched in amazement. For about a week, everytime I would go outside the bird would be there! It just kind of hung around the house. Eventually by holding a bowl full of birdseed and sitting really still, I got it to hop in my lap! I know that it was through prayer that this happened and I love to tell the story!

Anonymous said...

Kristi, the hummers always come in to our area the week of March 15th. Grandmama saw two on her feeder yesterday (17th) so they should be at your house before the weekend! Hope you and your Mom have lots of them this year!!!

Love ya!

Aunt JJ