Tuesday, December 15, 2009



We have as our esteemed guest this night a stranger. We don't know him and there is a unique feeling that accompanies inviting a total stranger into your home to spend the night with your family. I am glad I experienced it.

His name is Garth Poorman and he hails from Hebron, New York. He began walking from New York on August 29 and over 1300 miles later, he arrived on my doorstep.

I read his story in the Greenville Advocate and asked my family what they thought of inviting him in. They all agreed it would be fun so I emailed Garth. He phoned me and it was all set.

He arrived at 2pm today, showered and settled into his room to document and blog his trip. Callie graciously gave up her room for him while she bunks with pesky, little sister tonight. I invited another family to join us for dinner, so at 6:30 Stan, Tina, William, and Anna Foster arrived for Jewell Conway's Camp Stew. I added biscuits, crackers, and wheat rolls and Tina brought some delicious Chocolate Chess Pie.

We had a delightful meal with much interesting conversation. We are Garth's 83rd host family and since leaving NY he has only had to stay in a hotel 3 times. How's that for a great record. He has three more weeks on the road, even missing Christmas with his family all to prove that human kindness abounds and that compassionate people are everywhere. He is walking for kindness and walking half way across America to prove it exists. I think it quite admirable.

After dinner, dessert, and coffee I received a phone call from a friend of mine who is editor of the Lowndes Signal. He wanted to interview Garth and me for an article in the paper. Garth will also publish an online book of essays that tell about his travels and hopefully, we will be worthy of a mention.

We didn't know him when he walked up to our door, but we feel now that we have a lifelong friend that lives in Hebron, NY.

Mama always said it pays to be kind.

No comments: