Friday, January 15, 2010

Eating Frogs


I found an exerpt from a book named Eating Frogs. It is all about procrastination and how to start new habits to avoid putting things off.

The author explains that tasks are varied. Some are distasteful and others are less so. One must place all their tasks out to be categorized daily. You find the one that is the most distasteful and tackle it first. Not very easy for a procrastinator to do. So you look at the tasks at hand, knowing they all must be done. You envision them as dishes of food from favorites to the most abhorred, the least desireable task is a frog! Since you know you HAVE to eat them all eventually, you choose the frog first. In doing so, you get it out of the way and off your mind. You gain "nutrition" from it by attaining a feeling of accomplishment.

Most "frog" tasks are of the 20% category. These tasks generally reap big rewards, some immediately and some down the road a short way. The 80% category are the ones you don't mind doing or possibly even like to do. They will generally not benefit as much, although every task provides some benefit.

So one of my "frogs" today is to go through the xmas stuff and do a downsize. I LOVE Christmas so this is a very difficult task for me. None the less, I am in the attic today, eating my frog! And I must add that, so far, it is not a very tasty dish. I am hoping that the sense of accomplishment will more than make up for the nasty frog I am consuming. Eating frogs is NOT very much fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still eating the same stinking frog today! The phone rang off the hook yesterday which required me to not only climb down out of the attic, but run down the basement stairs to give the phone to Lee or Michael. Lots of good exercise, just didn't finish the xmas stuff. So I am off to the attic once again!
Laura

Anonymous said...

It took me three days, but I have finally eaten my frog! Yay! And the crowd goes wild!

Laura