Thursday, August 28, 2008

How excited can one be about doing laundry?

I am waiting anxiously for my washer to drain...I just checked and my toilets are NOT overflowing!!! WooHoo!!
Since Saturday, my toilets had begun to gurgle and were slow when flushing. Well, everywhere TD Fay had dumped massive amounts of water and people all over were experiencing drainage problems. So I explained it away thinking all the while that when the rains were over and gone and the water abated and the land dried a litte, all would be well. So we took showers at GGMama's, and hopped in the truck first thing for the next couple of mornings so that we could all take care of our morning business at one time in the multiple bathrooms there. It was a bit inconvenient, but still I am thinking when the rain stops, it will be fine.
It wasn't.
So this morning I called the plumber, my cousin Johnny, and left a message kicking myself as I thought how long it will take him to get to me because he is so busy. But just 30 minutes later, my hero called! Johnny was on the way. I was dancing with excitement. The calvary was coming. At this point I begin to think how he was going to have to dig up my yard...ugh! Then there is the expense, but at this point I am so desperate I'd pay am arm and a leg for functioning plumbing. This being the fifth day with no working plumbing, I would have probably considered giving him one of my children should he ask for it as payment!
Much to my delight, when Johnny arrived, he had this wonderful roto-rooter like machine that he was able to snake up into the pipes and eat away all the clogs in both directions. No digging, no mess, it was great. It only took about an hour from start to finish and now...I can flush without fear! I can shower with not a second thought. I can run my dishwasher with no hesitation. And yes, I am more than excited to be able to do laundry without it taking two hours to go through a small load cycle while I wait for the backed up water to seep through my clogged drain pipes for fear that nasty sewer water will overflow into my floors. Best $100.00 I have spent in a long time.
Best of all, I can throw out my 44 ounce plastic cup and return GGMama's chamber pot(those were an adventure, I assure you) for I am certain there will be no more toilet emergencies at my home for a long while.
I have a new found appreciation for indoor plumbing and all the wonderful convenience it affords me and my family!!

2 comments:

Keysgal@QuietWater said...

I laughed a good long time after reading this post. I have this visual of all of you tromping down to M&Ds house to "use the potty". I am glad you finally got it all resolved. I think we take all our conveniences for granted until we don't have them and then we REALLY appreciate what we have.

Tina said...

and you said you don't like camping!!!! :)