The world at large seems to approve of our choice for new leadership. Some may think that is a good thing and maybe it will prove to be. I consider it unnerving. Maybe I am just too suspicious, but for whatever reason, my instincts have the hair on the back of my neck raised a bit.
I am offended that he is being touted as the "first black president". I understand how proud African-Americans are that he has been elected and what that means for their people and I do not intend to put a damper on any of their jubilation. Still, the fact remains that our new leader is bi-racial and it seems to me he would use that to help bridge the gap between the races. I happen to think that is one of the good things about him. I have a niece and nephew that have been through some difficult times because they are bi-racial. I know what it would mean for them, if Mr. Obama would celebrate his dual ethinicity instead of allowing the media to only focus on his African heritage. I hope he will consider this. To date, I have not heard it from him.
I hope that we have enough common sense people in Washington to keep a balance. So far, I have yet to hear HOW Mr. Obama expects to do all he wants to do, without taxing us to death.
I really think health care is something that we should be responsible for ourselves, not something the government should provide for us. I am not crazy about the quality of government supplied goods and services and I like my healthcare to be of the highest quality, thank you very much. BTW, we have an HSA so we pay out of pocket unless something catastrophic takes place, so we don't have tiny medical co-pays, covered RX's, dental, or eyecare. All that comes out of pocket, but I have the choice of who cares for our needs and that is important to me.
I know Mr. Obama is big on "sharing the wealth", and I don't mind sharing. I just like to decide with whom I share. I don't think it is sharing when the government takes my money and decides for me , to whom they will dole it out. They do enough of that already.
We have become a society that feels "entitled" to have, without doing to achieve. That is not what made America great and it may be the very thing to cause her downfall.
I hope Mr. Obama will remember that he still has to earn the trust and confidence of 48 percent of the populace and act accordingly.
My photos above are Callie's class at school celebrating Veteran's Day with a Patriotic Program.
I can't help getting emotional with the realization that our America, the America we know and love may be forever changed. Hopefully, (my eternal optimism shows through here) it will be for the better. God bless and keep us as we embark on our journey of "Change we can believe in"
1 comment:
I too have 2 nieces that are bi-racial and I have felt the same way as you. Obama is just as much white as he is the other. I don't understand all the adulation about him being the first African American ever elected. He used his partial heritage to gain office and basically shunned his mother's heritage. But I too know, without a doubt, that God will not put anymore on His people than they can handle. Kudos to your blog!
Post a Comment