Sunday, February 15, 2009

Heart Day was Happy at Our House!

Our finished product. Only one-half the cupcakes we actually made. Looking for Mr. Eggshell...yuck! Close up of the creations. Our cupcake tree See the chocolate on Callie's face? Valentine smiles, an afternoon of Valentine fun! Friday night, my boyfriend and I went out (alone) for dinner! It was wonderful to have time for just us. We talked and flirted and in general, had a really good time. Sad that a couple of hours mean so much, because they come around with such infrequency.
Saturday, the girls and I made cupcakes and chocolate dipped strawberries. The berries are long gone, but because neither of the girls had ever made cupcakes, they each had to make an entire batch! We made 48 cupcakes and decorated them! We will have cupcakes for days at our house! We made 24 Devil' Food and 24 Red Velvet, decorating one half of each with white icing and the other half with milk chocolate icing. It was fun and the girls did most of the work.
In the making of the devil' food cupcakes, one of the girls dropped a piece of eggshell into the batter and it very quickly sank and slid to the bottom of the bowl with lightening speed. I couldn't get to it fast enough to stop it. I stirred around in the bowl with a spoon hoping it would surface. No luck. I removed my rings, washed my hands, and began to dig through the batter in hopes of feeling the porous little piece of trouble. Still no luck. We were planning to hand out these cupcakes to elderly people and I was appalled to think they might find pieces of shell, but how do I hurt the tender heart of my little girl and tell her that her cupcakes are subpar and we can't give them out to people? I decided to plunge on courageously. After all, who that cooks, has not at one time or another lost a tiny smidgen of eggshell in some dish they were preparing? It would be alright.

After handing out almost all the cupcakes we took some to my parents. As my mama was eating hers, she said, "Oh, I think I found some eggshell!". I have never been so glad to hear something of that nature, when it pertained to food I had a hand in preparing! Of all the cupcakes, my mama got the one with the shell! We threw hers away and replaced it with another and all was well in Valentine Day land. Whew!!! The day was saved!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The cupcakes were beautiful!!1 BUT not as beautiful as the Cooks!!! Hope you are feeling better. So glad to have seen you and Micah.