Sunday, February 22, 2009

Millie's (Aunt Bill) Headstone

I haven't visited Aunt Bill's grave since her death, so Micah and I went to see if her headstone was in place or not. When we got to Myrtlewood, I showed him (again, because I believe you just can't tell them enough about their ancestors) Uncle Harry's grave, Uncle Malcolm's grave, Nannie and Pe-Paw's graves and told him a little about each one. I intentionally avoided looking at Millie's grave until I was ready to see the stone. When I looked, I began to laugh. You know, one of those deep, belly laughs. I thought out loud how appropriate her epitath and how much she would love it.
So here it is! I took a photo to share with any who have not seen the headstone. I think it is great and I don't think it could have been better said!










For those of you who did not have the priveledge to know, Aunt Bill, she was Domino Queen! She was the best player I know and had a reputation so far, so wide and so broad, that grown men were afraid to play her, lest she beat them. And beat them, she would! She had to start to let people win one every once in a while, just to keep them playing with her. I know she hated to let them win, but it was the only way to keep playing the game!
Millie has dominoed her last game and won the final prize. May she rest in peace in victory!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How funny, and appropriate!! Thanks for posting this, Laura. She was a wonderful woman who happened to excel at dominoes!!!