Tuesday, February 24, 2009

More Than One Meaning

On Feb 22, 2009, at 10:55 PM, Laura McCann wrote:
Becca,

I just had to let you and Bill know that I went to see Millie's grave this week and I just laughed so hard when I read her headstone. I think she would love that! It is so appropriate and to those of us who knew her best, so meaningful.
As I stood and pondered those two words, they took several twists. They became the analogy to so many life situations and finally evolved into the thought, that Millie has dominoed her final game and is at peace and rest in sweet victory.
I think think it does her justice.
I hope you are all doing well. We miss, Millie as I am sure you do, as well.Take care of yourselves.

Love,
Laura

Dearest Laura,

Thank you so much for your email. Perhaps you already know this, but in case not: While thinking of Mama's love of dominos, I recalled from 6 years of Latin (thanks to Delma Daddy's insistence), I recalled that in Latin "Domini" meant "Lord" (as in "ano domini" - the year of our Lord). This led me back to the Latin dictionary which clarified that Domino, the ablative tense of domini, means "Praise the Lord". I sent a print out of this definition to Aunt Beth and Uncle Lomax and Family just so they would realize the extra meaning. I thought that every time my Mama said, "I domino", she didn't know that she was saying "praise the Lord" in Latin, which gave the headstone engraving a double meaning. I am so glad that you enjoyed my choice and please pass along to the family that might not realize that Mama, while thinking she was simply saying "I won", was also saying "praise the Lord".
I miss my Mama so much. I called her nearly every day for 2 1/2 years after her broken hip accident. I feel a void daily when I think it's time to call my Mama. It brought to mind something Bear Bryant regularly said on his Sunday morning show recapping the Crimson Tide games. He would always end by saying: "Call your Mama, I wish I could call mine." I sure wish I could call mine.
I so appreciate that you saw the humor and cared enough to give me input.

Much love, Becca

*See photo in next blog*

No comments: