A couple of years ago, Michael was burning some brush in the pasture. He had his trusty garden hose turned on full blast to monitor the flames and keep them at bay.
In a moment of inattention, the flames traveled too close to our old shed at the edge of our property. Before we knew it, the shed was ablaze. Inside the shed, old paint cans and who knew what else was quickly igniting and the flames became uncontrollable.
Michael told me to call the fire department because by now, the flames are over 30 feet into the sky and lapping at the tree limbs! I dash into the house and grab the phonebook. The Town Hall was listed, Police listed, Ambulance listed, everything but the Fire Department! I am in a panic! I am hysterically screaming, "Why do they not have the Fire Department listed, when they have every other emergency number in this book?"
It is then that Micah (11 at the time) calmly takes my arm and says, "Mom, dial 9-1-1." Duh! Who had the foresight to teach him that? Thankfully, I did. Even when I couldn't think calmly enough to dial the simple emergency numbers, my son could.
The Fire Dept. came at just about the time Michael got the fire under control. Yes, it was highly embarassing to both of us on many levels, but thankfully no one was harmed and we all got a good laugh about it, and still do.
5 comments:
i actually remember the days before 9-1-1 and having to memorize the number for the fire department and ambulance. Thank goodness no one was harmed. Thanks for sharing your story and photos!
Our husbands can be embarrassed together this week! :) We have some friends who started a little burn pile and caught their barn on fire - burned it to the ground. It isn't that uncommon I guess. ha! (Good job Micah!)
You and Lynnette Kraft had similar posts today.
FIRE scares me so much! I can imagine how you girls were feeling the days that your husbands had those fire issues.
My husband doesn't like me to even burn candles, so I bought battery operated candles! He is not fond of fire either. (:>)
I am so glad that nobody was burned or hurt.
And I can relate to the panic you felt when you couldn't find the telephone number. That is neat that your son was thinking clearly!
The pictures paint a clear picture of why fires can be dangerous huh?
GOD BLESS,...AND CONTINUE TO PROTECT YOU!
LINDA
Wow, 2 fire posts today! I hope that this isn't going to start a trend of husbands getting over zealous with burning things!!
I love how all the memory lane bloggers seem to be on the same wavelengths this week. Lots of husband posts, some bug posts, and some fire posts! LOL That's so funny about calling 911! I probably would've been the same way!!
Post a Comment