Friday, June 27, 2008

Is That Light At The End of The Tunnel Or A Train?

Mama woke up this morning for the first time in weeks with absolutely NO NAUSEA! I am praying that we have a repeat tomorrow. She went through the entire day with (all together now) NO NAUSEA! She is tired, but she ate well today and was still feeling well when I tucked her into bed tonight. Let's say it one more time, just for fun, shall we? NO NAUSEA! As Ellen put it, those words are music to our ears! It has been a long haul and we are hoping that all will be back to normal very soon.

My children have been little troopers! We are well into their summer and it has not been the summer of which they dreamed. All of them have pulled duty sitting with the grandparents, spending the night, washing dishes, taking out trash, helping Granddaddy in the garden or yard, etc...and all with very little complaint. I am quite proud of them. I told them this was preparation for when we all changed places. One day, I fully expect them to take care of me and their daddy when we are old and unable to care for ourselves, until we are just incapacitated beyond their ability to do so. After this challenge, I feel that I will be in very capable hands. They have done well. I hope soon to be able to let their summer begin so we can have some fun.

I have a confession to make. While I am embarrassed to make it, simultaneously, I am extremely proud . Don't laugh, but I have been working on my personal checkbook for a couple of months now trying to balance it. I have never balanced my checkbook. As long as I was within a couple of dollars of the balance the bank had, I was good. Well, after much ado, I am happy to announce, for the first time ever in 47 years, I balanced my own checkbook, TO THE PENNY! Yeah!!! I know it seems trivial to all of you out there who have been doing this forever, but this is big stuff for me. Anyone who knows much about me, knows that I hate dealing with numbers. It has never been my strong suite. Maybe I don't like it because I am no good at it or maybe I am no good at it because I don't like it, I don't know. What I do know is that today the numbers did not defeat me. Today the balanced checkbook is mine! Ha!

1 comment:

Keysgal@QuietWater said...

First let me second that breath of relief that mama is feeling better. I certainly hope she has turned the corner. Now she needs to get un-mad at Aunt Melba who just gave her the same advice that Doc would give anyone else. Secondly, I am proud of your kiddos. They certainly helped the week I was there and sounds like they have been doing a lot since I left. Let summer fun begin for them soon! Last but not least, CONGRATULATIONS on the checkbook balancing thing. It was difficult for me at first too but once I got it balanced the first time I never let it go again. Secret is doing it every couple of weeks or at least once a month. Actually I balance mine about every other day from the online postings from the bank. Have a good weekend. Love you.