Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Sexting...Are You Kidding Me?


I have been appalled by this topic that has been all over the news as of late.

Sexting! For those of you who may not know what it is, this is when a teen sends a nude or partially nude picture of themselves to a boyfriend/girlfriend through their cell phone! Now I was the "trouble" child in our family and even I didn't think about something this stupid to do for fun. I can't imagine being sucked into this by anyone, but I guess it speaks to the demise of morality in our society, when young ones are pressured by their peers, to demean themselves in this way.

Many youth have trusted the "lover" to keep these photos to themselves, but as the relationship fades, so do the bonds of trust. At this point, the photos begin to circulate through cyber-space causing irrepairable damage and much humiliation to the subject. Teens have had to change schools, relocate, and sadly, many have resorted to suicide because the humiliation was too much to bear. Their peers, teachers, parents, family members...anyone out there could be viewing these private photos that can continue to circulate for years to come. The backlash could cost them positions in college, job opportunities, and generally wreak havoc with their lives, for far longer than anyone would like to think.

Not to mention, they can be arrested for distributing pornography and those who pass it along, as well. If that happens, they will be labeled a sex offender for the rest of their life. What a burden to carry, all for the lack of the ability to stand up to peer pressure! The repercussions of this one act could potentially devastate the lives of these young people...theoretically, forever!

Where are the parents? If my child had a cell phone (which mine do not, because they are too young to need one, although many of their peers do carry one) I would immediately change to a phone that was incapable of photography. I have already talked with my children and will continue to do so, about the dangers of this activity. This is a real and potentially deadly threat.

Maybe I am overprotective, but I will stand between my children and imminant danger until they are capable of facing that danger alone. At 14, 12, and 10, I daresay, they are not ready. Were this the kind of threat that could be overcome with little a embarassment, I would probably let them take the fall, but to have it affect the rest of their lives? No thank you, I will choose to protect them on this one.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have read the suicide stories and they are so sad. Such a loss. Glad you have warned your kids. Still keep a close eye on them and their internet activity as lots of stuff goes on that way too!

J