Micah has jumped into the sports arena with both feet. He started spring training to be on the Fort Dale Academy Fighting Eagles football team next season. Are my shock and awe showing?
Micah has always been on the little side and consequently, has never taken an interest in sports, especially contact sports. When he joined the track team, I was proud and happy for him to compete. Now, football is a different story. I am concerned about him being hurt by the much larger fellas. His positions will be tight end and running back. All those big guys are going to be chasing and trying to hurt my boy, because he will have the ball! I asked him if he was ready to be tackled by someone twice his size and his answer was a very cool, " They have to catch me first, Mama." He is really quick and he can dodge tackles pretty well. This is the part of parenting that I really find difficult...the letting go part. Lettting them make some of their own choices, letting them pay their own consequence, letting them fall and fail...the control freak in me is screaming to get out and I have to keep smacking her back down when she rears her ugly head! The true test will be if he ever gets hurt on the field...how will I ever keep myself in the stands and not run to him to make it all better. He told me he would die if I did that, so I must muster all my self-control by September of 2010. I fear that may not be enough time to harness such a powerful monster as Control Freak. Time will tell....
Meanwhile, Callie has joined the Piccolo Choir at school and has a solo part in "Puff, the Magic Dragon". I took her to practice (and to pick Micah up from practice) and Mrs. Lee Ann, the choir director asked me to sing with the girls in practice tonight. The next thing I know, she is planning on me being in the concert (which is Friday night...Friday night and tonight was my first rehearsal. Oy vey...how do I get myself into these situations? So now, I am cramming in music, lyrics, harmony, choreography, (that's right, we gotta dance, too!) and planning a trip to Goodwill to see if I can find any "hippie" clothes. We are singing retro 70's music and that is to my benefit. Geez, when am I going to learn to stay away from these things until it is too late to get suckered into them?
Grace has been playing with her Jackknife Scooter and having a ball, until she took a dive and the pavement ate the skin off her hand, elbow, knee, and leg. Ouch! But she was brave and took it like a trooper, blood and all, bandaged the boo-boos and got back on the scooter. Still, she doesn't wear the protective pads we bought her, but she does wear her helmet. She is putting in for 1) getting her braces put on, which is beyond me. In my youth, glasses and braces were the last thing you wanted, due to the ridicule you had to endure...now it is apparently, a status symbol of some sort. Who would have guessed that? 2) she wants to go to basketball camp this summer, and 3) she wants tennis lessons this summer.
I will post some pictures later. Off to bed I go. It is late and I am tired. Busy. busy, busy....
No comments:
Post a Comment