Several months ago (it seems like an eternity) I got an email from American Family Association. They are a watchdog group that is Christian-based and keeps their thumb on the pulse of Washington and its readers informed of the happenings on "the Hill". Anyway, this email said that McDonald's had donated $20,000.00 to secure a seat on the board of directors for this Gay and Lesbian rights group. Now I have no problem with G/L working at McDonald's, eating there, etc... but for this large corporation to throw its weight behind this group... now I have a problem. In my opinion, they should have remained neutral.
So the call goes out to boycott McDonalds. Gasp, sputter, scream, hyperventilate...no Big Macs? No chicken McNuggets for the kiddies? No Quarter Pounder with Cheese? No morning Hot Cakes and Sausage? This is the only fast food joint in Greenville with a Play Place, for goodness sake! I was dying!!! But, fortunately McDonalds in Greenville underwent construction during this boycott and so that reduced the temptation considerably.
I explained to the kids what was happening and they understood and handled the boycott really well. I made sure they understood that this was only to keep McDonald's neutral, not to deny anybody the right to work or eat there.
So today, the boycott was lifted! Yea!! McDonald's has agreed to give up their seat on the G/L group board and not to renew it in January. They pledge to remain neutral in the societal arena.
Hooray, for people pulling together for a cause! Hooray, for boycotts that work! Hooray, that I can once again frequent McDonald's and order a Big Mac! Better yet, they are open 24 hours a day!! Hooray!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment