You may remember the mention of a 4-wheeler in a previous post this week? Well, my sister found a remote control 4-wheeler and presented it to Daddy after the final guest had departed. His reaction was a little serious at first then he laughed. After that we told him of the TV and he was more than happy. We also gave Mama some earrings for her birthday.
At the close of the party just before we took them home, the happy couple of 65 years posed in a few smooching shoots for the camera. How sweet is that?
Later that evening, before we left my parents home for the night, my daddy calls me into the den and tells me how much he enjoyed the party. How very much he appreciated all the work we put into it, how nice it was, and how much it meant to them for us to do all that for them. Now most of you will go, "awwww", at this point. You don't know my daddy. He is a man of little words. This is another twist and I am caught off guard. I have never gotten such a heart-felt, sincere, meaningful, "thank you" from this man. Somehow, deep inside, you always know he must appreciate what you do for him, but you never, ever, hear the words, unless it is the empty and shallow,"we appreciate it". The rote, obligatory phrase that is void of feeling, but in your head you know there must be feeling behind it, yet in your heart there is the nagging doubt.
So tonight, with his hand on my arm and a gentle squeeze, my daddy conveyed to me his true feelings, his open, honest, feelings.
In a day filled with surprises, I found myself the victim of the greatest surprise of all. My daddy, at age 90, did the impossible and made a connection with me. I never thought I would see the day!
No comments:
Post a Comment